John Johnson. Yes, my 3rd-great grandfather’s name was John Johnson.
A few facts about John:
- Born circa 1794 in Upper Canada
- Arrived in Buffalo, New York in 1817
- Declared his declaration to be naturalized in Morgan County, Ohio in June 1837
- Naturalized in Morgan County, Ohio in October 1840
- Lived in Bloom Township, Morgan County, Ohio in 1850
- Died 16 February 1851 and is buried in Mt. Zion Cemetery in Bristol Township, Morgan County
I wonder if John appreciated how common his name was. His children were Juliett, Uthama, Enoch, Elizabeth, Ezra, Eber, Eliza, John, Margaret, Jeremiah, and Sarah Ann. (Frankly, I’m thankful that I descend from Eber. It’s easier to research Eber Johnson than John or Sarah!)
- Genealogical Extracts from Naturalization Records of Morgan County, Ohio, (n.p.: Morgan County Genealogical Society, 1981), p. 23.
- John Johnson household, 1850 federal census (population), Bloom Township, Morgan County, Ohio, page 102B.
- John Johnson tombstone, Mt. Zion Cemetery, Bristol Township, Morgan County, Ohio.